The Disaster Area NNB Expanse Bridge unit is a compact interface unit that allows control of a Neunaber Expanse Series pedal by a MIDI controller.
The NNB is designed to connect to the ExP port on the rear of the Expanse Series (also known as V2 Stereo) pedals. The NNB is powered by the Expanse series, just connect the two with the provided Cat-5 cable.
Once connected, the NNB offers all of the functions of the official EXP controller including effect selection and preset morphing. The NNB will even work with the Expanse software so that you can select and customize your effects.
Tap the NNB footswitch to toggle between the two “preset” sounds for each effect selection, or hold the footswitch to cycle through the available effects. If you’d rather have easy access to the effects, you can reverse this setting. You can even connect a standard expression pedal to seamlessly “morph” between presets.
The NNB functions as a space-saving version of the EXP controller, but it really shines when connected to a master MIDI controller! Send a MIDI program change to select the presets and effects:
For advanced users, the NNB also allows full control of each knob on the pedal by using dedicated MIDI CC messages:
Footswitch Options (selectable at boot)
- Tap to toggle between YELLOW and VIOLET presets for the current effect, hold to cycle effects 1-4.
- Tap to cycle effects 1-4 (WHITE – BLUE – GREEN – RED,) hold to toggle between presets for the current effect (YELLOW – VIOLET).
- Tap to cycle through all effects and presets in order (WHITE + YELLOW, WHITE + VIOLET, BLUE + YELLOW, etc.)
MultiJack Options (selectable at boot)
- Expression Pedal – preset morph from YELLOW to VIOLET
- Footswitch Select – tap external footswitch to perform the same action as the internal HOLD function. If internal footswitch is set to tap preset, external will tap effects select and vice-versa.
- MIDI Output – connect a MJ-5P MultiJack to 5-pin MIDI cable or MultiJack Cable for Chase Bliss Audio to send MIDI from the NNB to another device. The NNB will pass any incoming MIDI out this jack. PLEASE NOTE that the Expanse Pedal cannot always supply enough current to run the NNB if MIDI Output is selected! Please connect a standard USB power supply to the NNB USB port to provide additional power if using for MIDI Output on the MultiJack!
For players that prefer to control the NNB entirely using an external MIDI controller a version with a side-mounted switch and LED is available at no extra charge. The side-switch version is suitable for under-board mounting.
Hold the NNB foot switch at boot, while the LED is flashing. If you are powering the NNB from a computer / iPad or other USB host, be sure to wait until the LED begins flashing before holding the foot switch.
The RGB LED will then cycle between two different colors to show the configuration value and option.
Hold the footswitch to change LED Color 1 and the configuration option.
Tap the footswitch to change LED Color 2 and the configuration value.
Send the NNB a MIDI program change from your controller to set its MIDI receive channel. The NNB will set itself to the same channel as the program change message and the LED will flash violet. Once the configuration and MIDI channel are set, power-cycle the NNB and it is ready for use.
- Sturdy cast aluminum enclosure measures 3.6″ L x 1.5″ W x 1.4″ H.
- 1/4″ MultiJack operates as expression pedal input, footswitch input, or MIDI output.
- Connects to Neunaber Expanse series pedal using a standard CAT5 cable (included.)
- MIDI jack functions as MIDI input and MIDI output using MIDI-Y cable.
- Mini-USB port for firmware update and USB MIDI functionality.